Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving


No, they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here in Italy. The pilgrims did not land here. Americans are shocked to find that other countries don’t celebrate this Holiday, but I am not sure why. Italians have holidays that we don’t have, and a lot of them.

Anyway, I am celebrating Thanksgiving today. I am taking myself out for one of the famous “duck” dinners. Yes, no turkey, but something here that I love very much. I am sure I will have a large plate of spaghetti with it and a nice bottle of wine as well.

When my kids were growing up, our tradition at Thanksgiving Dinner was to reflect on our gifts during the year, and talk about what we are thankful for in our lives. In keep with that tradition, I will do that here.

I am thankful for:

1. My parents good health
2. My 2 sons independence
3. My good health
4. The 3 things above plus a few other people and miracles allowed me to have this wonderful year in Italy.
5. My friends, who I have always cherished, but it is true that “absence makes the heart grow fonder”. You have all been a wonderful support system and such good company on the internet
6. Taking risks (May I always assess those wisely....well, almost always)
7. Learning Italian
8. Living simpler
9. Not having so much “stuff”
10. Getting to live somewhere else and do something different again next year!

No comments: